Sunday, March 31, 2013

Why I Run

Wanted to get this posted sooner but have been traveling for work a bunch. Got a few more ideas brewing, so more blogs will soon follow.

Anyway, I thought a post about why I run would be good as I start this blog.

The simple answer is because I love it.

You probably want more than that, right?

I've been running on and off for about 6 - 7 years. I started when I lived a few blocks from the beach. Running on the beach in the mornings was awesome and i think that helped cement my love. How can you not love something when you can do it and watch the sunrise over the ocean and dolphins playing.

I guess I started because I was trying to lose weight and one of my good friends was a runner.

Really I don't remember thinking any specific reason, just that I wanted to run and be a runner.

And I fell in love. In love with (in no particular order):
- the feeling of accomplishment when I am done, especially after a hard run
- the improvements I see in my fitness
- my legs looking great; I had a co-worker who called me Legs because they look so good (RIP Fred, you are missed)
- the running community, everyone is so supportive no matter how fast or far you go
- the time I get to think & process; I run alone and I like that, I refer to my running time as my meditation time
- racing! I love the excitement, the bling & swag, the sense of pride when I cross the finish line, especially if I set a PR
- being outside

If I really dug in and thought harder about it I could probably come up with a dozen more.

I love running!

What do you love about running?  Or your favorite activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment