Sunday, January 5, 2014

Galloway Style

When I first started running 8 or so years ago I started training for a 15k. During that training I discovered I get exercise induced migraines.

Fast forward about 6 years and I finally discovered the Galloway method.

It's a run/walk method and allows me to Run long distances without migraines because there are built in rest periods. According to all I have read I should be doing 30 sec running and 30 sec walking. Being stubborn I started out doing 4 min running with 1 min walking. I found out in my first 10k that interval didn't work for me. I then switched to 2:1 and that seemed to work ok.

After coming back from an injury I started out with 1:1 and my body responded well but I started to wonder if 30:30 would work any better.

Then came Space Coast and Jeff Galloway BQ'd using 20:40 second intervals.

That did it for me, time to try 30:30. I have done several runs doing 1:1 for the first half and 30:30 for the second. This has been long and short runs. For all but 1 run my second half has been faster. On my long run it was the fastest long training run I have had and I felt great at the end.

I am not sure I am ready to fully switch to 30:30, but they will now be part of every run.

Any other Galloway'ers out there? Or do you feel like it's "cheating" if you walk at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment