Sunday, May 5, 2013

Injury = Break from running :-(

As runners it's likely that we will experience injuries periodically.

And it sucks when that happens - to put it bluntly.

Right now I've got an injured hip, and of course running makes it worse, the pounding is what causes the pain. I can walk, do squats, swim, etc, just no running.

Since I was seeing the chiropractor for my neck, which is all better, he is now treating my hip. He said it's either a problem with the joint or even some bursitis. Of course my initial reaction upon hearing bursitis is that "I'm not old!" LOL

But looking it up, runners are listed as people prone to bursitis. Now it's a matter of the usual treatment, rest, stretching, ice, advil.

And in the meantime I'll be doing other forms of cardio that don't involve pounding on my hip.

Time to get out the bikes. Yesterday I picked up some cheap swim goggles so I can give swimming a try. I typically don't like swimming laps, but it's been a few years since I've tried it, and doing it with Tim might make it more fun.

The good news is that I did finish run #3...it was painful and it was my slowest 5K time ever, but I'm happy it's done, and I LOVE the medal.



Next run is another virtual that can be done anytime in June, although it is a 10K so I do need time to train. I'm not happy about having to take a break from running, but I'm happy that I can give myself time to heal and train properly.

How do you handle injuries? What are your backup exercise plans? Any suggestions for me to try something new and fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment